History of Methodism in St Aubin

Methodism in St. Aubin began in 1786 when Adam Clarke (later to be President of the Methodist Conference) walked across the sands from St. Helier to St. Aubin with Robert Carr Brackenbury who had been the “apostle of Methodism” in Jersey since 1783.

At this time, there was fierce opposition to the Methodist cause and the opposition became more violent when Clarke persuaded Methodists not to do military training on Sundays. Members first met in a shed in the yard of Les Vaux, but the meeting place was frequently attacked and attempts were even made to destroy the house.

Despite opposition, the movement grew and in 1817 the first church seating 230 was built on the site of the present Wesleyan Hall, behind the church. The present Church was built on reclaimed land and was opened in 1868. In the 1930s the central rostrum was removed to reveal the apse.

The latest renovations were completed in 1995 and give expression to the church’s mission commitment to provide “open access”. Visual barriers have been removed so that the whole church is open and accessible to visitors. The decor, carpet and furnishings complement the colours in the stained glass window while the new side windows display Christian symbols ancient and modern.


Our History
Webpage icon Our history in pictures
Printer Printable Version